- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon white or black pepper
- 2½ cups low-fat milk
- 1½ cups fresh whole-wheat breadcrumbs (see Tips) or ½ cup shredded or crumbled cheese
Active 50m Ready In 1 h
- Position racks in upper and lower third of oven; preheat to 425°F.
- Toss green beans in a large bowl with 1 tablespoon oil until well coated. Divide between 2 baking sheets and spread in an even layer. Roast, stirring once and rotating the pans top to bottom about halfway through, until tender and beginning to brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until very soft and golden brown, 5 to 8 minutes. Add flour, salt and pepper; cook, stirring, for 1 minute more. Add milk and continue to stir, scraping up any browned bits. Cook, stirring, until the sauce bubbles and thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat. (See Tips)
- When the green beans are done, remove from the oven. Preheat the broiler.
- Transfer half the green beans to a 2-quart, broiler-safe baking dish. Spread half the sauce over the green beans. Add the remaining green beans and top with the remaining sauce.
- Combine breadcrumbs and the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a small bowl (skip this step if you are topping with cheese).
- Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture (or cheese) over the gratin. Place under the broiler and broil, watching closely, until the gratin is bubbling and beginning to brown on top, 1 to 5 minutes, depending on your broiler. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Make Ahead Tip: Roast green beans (Step 2) up to 30 minutes ahead. Prepare the sauce (Step 3), cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day; gently reheat until steaming before combining with the green beans.
- Tips: To make your own fresh breadcrumbs, trim crusts from whole-wheat bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice of bread makes about ½ cup fresh breadcrumbs.
- To add extra flavor to the cream sauce, at the end of Step 3 stir in 1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs, such as thyme, sage or parsley. Or make it cheesy by stirring in ½ cup shredded or crumbled cheese, such as Gruyère, Swiss, Cheddar or blue cheese.
- Keep food fresh: If you're storing food in your fridge for a few hours or more, it's best to keep it in an airtight container or in a container covered tightly with foil. Foil is best at creating a barrier that doesn't let unwanted flavors in (or out) while you store your food.
Our Featured Item! We are sticking with our featured item, the Deluxe eMug, but this time there is a twist. You can get a FREE Deluxe eMug when you purchase a Refrigerator Harmony Egg. The perfect combo for the Holiday's. The Refrigerator Harmony Egg is the most amazing affordable appliance to prolong produce and food life [...]
Cider-Braised Chicken, Brussels Sprouts and ApplesMakes: 4 servingsHands On 15 minsTotal Time 55 minsThis fantastic one-pan dinner is ideal for a Sunday supper or casual fall get-together with friends; the sauce is delicious, so serve with bread or mashed potatoes to soak up every delicious bite.ingredients 4 slices bacon, chopped8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (about 3 1/2 [...]
Click here to go to the EMF/EMR category.Click here to go to the Earlty Bird Sign Up.
Go ahead and opt for the higher SPF because it may not be as strong as you might think.Be Prepared With Plenty Of eGel A new study by Consumer Reports found that 43% of the 60 sunscreens tested failed to meet the SPF claim on the label. It's the fourth year in a row that [...]
This idea couldn't be easier. At the same time it is super fun and actually less mess for the kidos! Make your watermelon cakes and dress them however you like. Here is the basic idea:INGREDIENTS 1 small watermelon2 c. cool whipRainbow nonpareils, for garnishDIRECTIONS Using a chef's knife, slice a small portion of the watermelon rind off. [...]
INGREDIENTS2 bananas, cut into 1" pieces24 1" pieces pineapple12 large strawberries, rinsed, dried, and halved2 c. chocolate chips1/2 c. peanuts, choppedoptional, add blueberries to make them perfectly patriotic!DIRECTIONSMake kebabs: Thread two pieces each banana, pineapple, and strawberry onto skewer. Repeat process to assemble 23 more skewers. Place all on parchment-lined baking sheet.In a microwave-safe bowl, [...]
This great excerpt from Greatist helps highlight some excellent ideas for creating a healthier summer cocktail this summer.Alcoholic drinks can be a sneaky source of calories, sugar, and even salt—but not when you play bartender. Try to get a few healthier alternatives under that (suddenly much looser) belt to impress friends and family and order [...]
Everybody loves summer, but not everybody loves the creatures that it brings, specifically the pesky mosquito. There’s nothing more annoying than constantly having to swat away mosquitoes when trying to enjoy the outdoors, and with the recent Zika virus epidemic there is even more reason to ward off these pests.Although commercial bug sprays may be [...]
Jicama Slaw Ingredients:2 C jicama, julienned1 C Red Cabbage, Julienned1 C Carrots, Julienned2 T coarse ground mustard1 T poppy seeds¼ cup green onions1 C Veganaise (soy free)¼ cup olive oil1 T apple cider vinegarJuice of 1 lemonPreparation is EASY 1.Whisk together mustard, poppy seeds, green onions, Veganaise, Olive oil, Vinegar, and lemon juice2.Toss veggies with mustard [...]