Eating healthy can be a little overwhelming sometimes. Nobody can stay excited about bland low calorie meals that seem to all be a minor variation of the same thing. We love a potato salad, and a beautiful one is even better. We search and try all sorts of recipes to integrate into our focus on being healthy. Thanks to Health.com we found a great potato salad recipe that is sure to impress. Tricolor baby potatoes liven up this dish, and mustard seeds (often used in Indian cooking) add a crunchy texture and great flavor to this can’t-miss side. We really liked to do a splash of worcestershire upon serving.
Tell us how you doctored up this already awesome salad.
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard seeds
- 2 cups diced red cabbage
- 1 bag (about 24 oz.) tricolor baby potatoes, scrubbed and sliced
- 2 tablespoons safflower or canola oil
- 1/4 cup minced chives
1. In a bowl, stir vinegar, sugar, pepper and 1/2 tsp. salt until sugar dissolves. Stir in mustard seeds and cabbage.
2. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes, return to a boil and cook until just tender, about 10 minutes.
3. Drain potatoes; let cool slightly. Fold into cabbage mixture with oil and chives. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Yield: Serves: 6 (serving size: 1 cup)
|Calories per serving:|
|Fat per serving:||5g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||0.0g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||0.0g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.0g|
|Protein per serving:||3g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||23g|
|Fiber per serving:||2g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||0.0mg|
|Iron per serving:||1mg|
|Sodium per serving:||226mg|
|Calcium per serving:||33mg|
Good to Know
Purple potatoes are good for your heart and red potatoes are packed with fiber and vitamin C. This salad is a very low-calorie – just 145 calories – side dish for your summer barbecue.