Are you having trouble sleeping at night? Say goodbye to insomnia and hello to a good night’s sleep full of sweet dreams with this smoothie.
Most people aren’t getting enough sleep at night for one reason or another and their health and way of life is suffering because of it. Fortunately, there are a several foods that blend well in a smoothie that are known to induce a good night’s sleep.
These foods contain substances such as magnesium, a natural sedative, melatonin, sleep regulator, and serotonin, another chemical that induces sleep.
Here are the ingredients for this smoothie and how each one contributes to a good night’s sleep.
- Warm Almond Milk: Almond milk contains both tryptophan, an amino acid that acts as a sedative, and magnesium, which acts as a muscle relaxant.
- Banana: They contain melatonin and serotonin, which help you sleep soundly, and magnesium, a muscle relaxant.
- Cherries: A natural food source of melatonin, which helps regulate sleep.
- Nutmeg: Acts as a natural relaxant and helps induce sleep.
- Honey: Used for years as a natural sleep aid, honey contributes to the release of melatonin.
Other notable ingredients that I’ve included as add-ons.
- Flax seeds: Their high amounts of tryptophan and omega-3 fatty acids increase levels of the sleep-regulating serotonin.
- Cacao: Another good source of magnesium, but be careful with this one, some people feel more alert after consuming.
The healthier the food you eat throughout the day the better you’ll sleep at night. However, sometimes you need something shortly before bed to help you relax and ensure a good night’s rest, enter this smoothie.
- 1/2 cup warm almond milk
- 1/2 fresh medium banana
- 1/2 cup pitted cherries
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon flax seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon cacao powder
Place the ingredients into your high speed blender and blend for around 30-45 seconds or until your desired consistency is reached.
- Calories: 199
- Fat: 5g
- Protein: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 36g
- Fiber: 3g
- Sugar: 27g
- Vitamin A: 5% RDA
- Vitamin C: 17% RDA
- Calcium: 16% RDA
- Iron: 2% RDA
Please leave a comment below if you try this sweet dreams smoothie and get a good night’s sleep. Happy Blending!